Friday, April 1, 2011

Airport Scanners violating human rights

Airports have taken new measures to increase security with new body scanners.  How these scanners work is that you stand with your hands up and it takes a digital x-ray image of you.  This is basically a virtual strip search of all the passengers.  As a frequent traveler, i feel violated having to walk through and take a picture.  I am all for taking precautionary measures but is this really the way to go?  I believe the system that was in place was fine.  By the aiport having this new scanner, i do not feel any safer than i was before.  I think the U.S. Government should step in and say this is a violation of human rights.  I am well aware that you can opt out and get a pat down.  Talking from experience, going through the body scanner is the better option.  The pat down takes a bit longer and they really do pat you down everywhere, and i do mean everywhere.  I felt more violated that now i just go through the scanner.  I felt like maybe T.S.A. could have used the money that was used on the scanners and have did other things with it, like better trained employees or put another system in place so passengers don't have to feel like they got violated just to travel.  If i could ride a bus to my house in Philadelphia i would, but the cost efficiency and the time would not be worth it so the only option i have is to take the plane.  I have a problem with it and i think its the U.S. Government needs to take action.  I am sure that i am not the only individual to feel like this and there has to be another way.  What if another incident does occur where a passenger brought a weapon on a plane and something bad went down?  What will T.S.A. do next?  What will their excuse be then?  That is what i am truly scared about. 

3 comments:

Darlyn M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darlyn M. said...

I defeniately agree with you, I totaly understand that because of all of the accidents that have happen like terrorist trying to put in danger our country the USA has taken some action. Security has increased a lot in airports but really disrespecting citizens rights like this is not cool. I havent travel in airplane for a long time but what I can remember is that I never had to go through that embarrasing body scanners. You are so right about "What if another incident does occur where a passenger brought a weapon on a plane and something bad went down?" the thing is that nothing is going to stop terrorist from trying put this country in danger, and we the citizens are the ones that have seriously strip for them to show them that we are not carrying anything illegal. What I truly feel with this is that is violating our human rights.

Hosniyeh said...

Eugene Lee's original editorial about the Airport security is a very thought-provoking critique.
However, I have to disagree with Eugene due to my personal experience. About three month ago, I was travelling to Maryland. At the airport, after removing my jacket, I was asked to remove my long sleeve dress!! When I asked the officer why? She responded that I just have to without any further explanation. I refused and told her that is not possible. As a solution, I told her I would not mind to be fully scanned through the Body Scanner if necessary. She refused my offer because of the scanner malfunction.
Finally, the officer patted me down everywhere for a while, and then decided that I am not carrying anything underneath my clothes. My point is that, I would have gladly accepted a “virtual strip search” rather than wasting so much time. I don’t understand how is a fully body pat down less embarrassing than a full body x-ray? I feel more violated when some stranger harshly touch me down head to toe.